Internationally-recognized opera singer, educator, sound therapist, composer, and distinguished academician Flicka Rahn and noted multi-instrumentalist, educator and composer/arranger Daniel Wyman have come together, as the duo Icaros, to create their first offering, a beautifully-crafted eight-piece CD, entitled Icaros: Chakra Soundscapes.
Icaros: Chakra Soundscapes is a natural progression of Flicka's research as a professor. The idea was born after she attended an Ayahuasca ceremony in Mexico in 2015, where she discovered their use of plant medicine, particularly the Ayahuasca vine, as well as their sacred songs, called “Icaros.” She says, “I saw how important a role music played after participating in the ceremony … and I realized that this music allowed people to meet and encounter deeper realms.”
A subsequent trip to Peru in early 2017 to spend time with the Shipibo Indian tribe and Flicka’s direct experiences with Ayahuasca proved the catalyst for the recording sessions for the CD: “I was profoundly moved,” she recalls I ‘spoke’ to Mother Earth (Gaia) directly, which you can do when in the altered state brought on by drinking the brew created by the Shipibo from the Ayahuasca. I asked what could I do to share this with the rest of the world and the response that came back was ‘Please take my Icaros to the Western world in a way that people can learn and experience a deeper relationship with Mother Earth.’ The result was music that I felt and channeled when I worked with my accompanist Daniel on this CD and he played a very integral part in its creation.”
Flicka’s association with Daniel Wyman, who has served as the principal keyboardist for the Texas Army National Guard 25th Infantry Band and who has studied music at Texas State University, began in 2013. Daniel, whose performing experience includes live engagements in styles ranging from “Bach to rock and salsa and everything in between!” notes, “For a couple of years, Flicka and I talked about sound therapy and the healing power of music. We began experimenting using the piano and the crystal singing bowls together. Then, towards the end of last year, she said, ‘we really need to do a CD’ and after Flicka returned from Peru, we went into the studio. I was excited to see how everything was connected and after I heard what we did, I felt this amazing calm, peace, and tranquility and I felt physically better.”
Notes Flicka, “This CD will take you on a journey through your body, mind, and soul. If you allow yourself to immerse in impressions, feelings, and visions as you listen to the sounds, I know that profound healing can occur. Chakras are energy portals which take energy from the environment and utilize it in a way that feeds the physical, emotional and spiritual bodies. As the Chakras function well, people have the possibility of experiencing health, joy, love, peace, wisdom, and connection with their own divine expression.”
Totally improvised and created by Flicka and Daniel in one-and-half days, the resonant pitch of each chakra is sounded as a continuous drone on Icaros: Chakra Soundscapes. Flicka’s voice and use of Quartz Crystal Singing bowls along with Daniel’s accompanying keyboard harmonies swirl slowly above the drone to create both movement and stability of sound. The CD was recorded in 432Hz, increasingly recognized as a frequency that allows sound to be received in a naturally harmonious, impactful and coherent way.
Flicka, whose distinguished career includes performances at some of the world’s most prestigious venues including Carnegie Hall, Boston Symphony Hall, Palacio de Bellas Artes in Mexico City and the Boston Academy of Music, offers a brief overview of each track which has the resonant pitch of each chakra as a foundation for the melodies:
1. The Root Chakra (Muladhara) is the chakra of stability, Mother Earth, feelings of safety, trust and security. The color is red and the resonant pitch is “C”. It is located at the base of the torso and governs the large intestine and pelvis.
2. The Sacral Chakra (Svadhisthana) is the chakra of sexuality, vitality and creative expression. The color is orange and the resonant pitch is “D”. It is located two inches below the navel and governs the sexual organs, kidneys, and bladder.
3. The Solar Plexus (Manipura) is the chakra of will, sense of self, personal power, and self-control. The color is yellow and the resonant pitch is “E”. It is located two inches above the navel and governs digestion, small intestines, and autonomic nervous system.
4. The Heart Chakra (Anahata) is the chakra of love, empathy, compassion, and generosity of spirit. The color is green and the resonant pitch is “F”. It is located in the center of the chest and governs heart, lungs and blood circulation.
5. The Throat Chakra (Vishuddha) is the chakra of verbal expression in speaking the highest truth. The color is blue and the note is “G”. It is located at the larynx and governs the throat, esophagus and trachea.
6. The Brow Chakra (Ajna) is the chakra of intuition, perception, spiritual wisdom and awareness. The color is indigo and the resonant pitch is “A”. It is located in the center of the forehead and known as the “third eye” and governs the nervous system, eyes, ears, nose, and cerebellum.
7. The Crown Chakra (Sahasrara) is the chakra of enlightenment, self-realization, and connection with the divine. The color is white and gold and the resonant pitch is “B”. It is located at the top of the head, governs the brain and feeds the entire organism.
In addition, an eighth track corresponds to the High Heart Chakra, the chakra of divine love for all creation. The color is turquoise and the resonant pitch is “F#”. It is located between the throat chakra and the heart chakra. This chakra connects us to all sacred geometry within our natural world and is a portal to the cosmos.
Flicka shares her expertise as a scholar and music therapist across the country through speaking engagements and transformative workshops in Sonic Healing, Sonic Geometry, Chakra Meditation, Vibration of Sound, and as a leading proponent of the Life in 432 Project, a movement toward tuning instruments to 432 Hz.
With Icaros: Chakra Soundscapes, Flicka Rahn and Daniel Wyman have created an aural masterpiece that is destined to provide healing energy and a powerful transformative experience using the sacred power of music, as vital as ever in an ever-changing world.